Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Diane Arbus. Beloved.

This image was taken in Indiana. It is of a mother and father and their son.












"Freaks was a thing I photographed a lot. It was one of the first things I photographed and it had a terrific kind of excitement for me. I just used to adore them. I still do adore some of them. I don't quite mean they're my best friends but they made me feel a mixture of shame and awe."

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't like to arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself. "


"Regardless of how you feel inside, always try to look like a winner. Even if you are behind, a sustained look of control and confidence can give you a mental edge that results in victory."

"Most people go through life dreading they'll have a traumatic experience. Freaks were born with their trauma. They've already passed their test in life. They're aristocrats. "







1 comment:

  1. What an interesting way of looking at the world. I have always been fascinated by freaks, both in a voyeuristic way, and in the sense that I am just like them... the 1932 movie "Freaks" by Todd Browning has that same mix of emotions.

    ReplyDelete